Friday, 3 April 2009

Afloat on the Limay, bewitched by the Pichi Leufu






Although the fishing was much slower in March, I still managed to get out and have some memorable sessions in my final month in Patagonia. The Rio Limay is perhaps the most iconic of all Patagonian rivers, and it's boca - or mouth - attracts anglers from all over the world, who come in search of the monster browns that move into the mouth to feed from the enormous Lago Nahuel Huapi. Myself, Juan and Rich spent a day floating the lower section, and despite my initial terror, I soon became comfortable negotiating the rapids and glides that litter the river.

The Pichi Leufu has to be one of the prettiest rivers I've fished so far. It's little more than a creek by mid-March but it holds surprisingly large fish. Fortunately for myself, the river was so low that the fish were stacked up in the pools, enabling me to have a field day nailing them on caddis and mayflies cast tight to the reed beds. This river is apparently sensational in early season, and for those willing to negotiate the long and winding road through Mapuche territory, the rewards are there to reap.

At the time of writing, I'm in Bolivia, a troutless wilderness. Seeing early season reports roll in from the Northwest of England is making me - dare I say it - a little envious.

No comments: