Sunday, 1 February 2009

An Evening on the Futaleufu









Here's a few snaps from a session yesterday on the mighty Rio Futaleufu. I was shown the spot by a guy called Ed, who hails from the backwoods of Montana and bears a striking resemblance to both Father Christmas and Davis Bellamy. Ed lives in a wooden hut in the middle of nowhere and is a really interesting guy who spends weeks at a time hiking through the mountains and living off the land. He kindly refrained from hacking me to death with an axe, which was really decent of him. It was interesting watching him try to catch fish with only a handline and live grasshoppers. Fake ones did the busines for me!
I'm off to fish some stretches 30km away tomorrow. I'm really enjoying my time here in Chile and want to make the most of every last moment of the Patagonian Summer.

6 comments:

Geoff said...

Hi Tom,

Looks amazing fishing - you might need a slightly bigger salmon to beat my PB, but by the looks of things it won't be long! Will have a pint for you in the Friendship.

Geoff.

Paul said...

Hello Tom... hope all is well, you can post amazing photographs of amazing rivers all you want, but you can't kid me that it's better than an afternoon on the river Roch in January..

You might be interested to read an article in the Manchester Evening News about Mr Turner from William Hulme...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1094330_womans_torment_over_pervert_teacher

Paul said...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1094330_womans_torment_over_pervert_teacher

Paul said...

crikey, that Mr Turner link from the evening news won't fit in the comments.. just look for the article entitled "Woman's torment over pervert teacher"

smashers said...

hey Tom, I think it's rather ironic --not to mention a little distaseful--that you're sporting a BlackBerry logo on your fishing hat whilst I'm stuck in a corporate hell-hole gazing whistfully upon your photographs. Sometimes you just dont THINK do you?

Here's another intriguing snippet for you: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/04/daniel-mcfarlane-coach-fall

Time Seeker said...

Tom -- it looks like your trip is turning out really well! I'm jealous you're still there while I'm back at home...

Hope you're well :)

Megan.